Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Modest Prom! Question & Answer

Here's an email I received from a ModestFlair reader:
Asslamualaikum,
I am graduating from high school on june 21st. I am confused on what I should wear. I was hoping you could help me out. I am kinda of on the heavy side and want to wear something comfortable but I want it to look chic not casual and like I didn't try. Thank you!!!!!"
I did a quick search for plus size prom dresses online, and found this awesome store:

http://www.simplydresses.com/plus-size-prom-dresses

Here are some of my favorites for modesty and for flattering a curvy body. Now obviously you will have to wear a shrug or wrap to cover the arms (I've added some photos below the dresses) and I would recommend a tight undershirt as well to cover the cleavage and collarbone area otherwise you will have to be very careful about keeping your hijab (if you wear hijab) in place. See my post on AustereAttire to see how they wear their hijabs loose upfront and tight around the neck for an elegant, modest cover.

You will notice most of these have an empire waistline which means right under the bossom. This is the best place to have a waistline for heavier girls as it is the thinnest part of the upper body, then the skirt just falls from there hiding the tummy, if the skirt is nice and full. You said you don't want a too-formal look, so I've chosen dresses with chic, fun patterns and loose, full fabric. Nothing too tailored or stiff!




If the dress you choose has open cleavage (which most do!) I would recommend taking the dress to a seamstress to get  her ideas on how to elegantly cover the area, then just wear a shrug! You can find formal satin shrugs in white on most bridal websites (just do a quick search!), and black ones all over the mall/internet like the one from Forever21 below:



I hope this helps! Have a wonderful prom and send me a photo (headless if you like :) so I can share!
Ma'salam..

Look fashionable and make a statement! Islamic calligraphy print shirts for women in casual cotton! These are brought to you by Artizara and Primomoda, two of the most  stylish Muslimah stores online!

            I can totally see teens rocking this look, I'd wear this for walking/working out too! Only $25 on sale; Primomoda has a BIG sale on now, lots of nice long shirts for under $30!                              



Artizara's got a whole page of calligraphy "tees", done so elegantly! This one says "Salam"! Priced over $40, and probably harder to pull off if you're not super-model skinny! Mashallah, these ladies are beautiful - but I see lobes!

Men's styles too!


How cute is this Prayer shirt?! Awww!

No comments:

Post a Comment