Tuesday, August 2, 2011

FLAMINIA SACCUCCI

Year in, year out, Central Saint Martins produces designers that have a huge impact on fashion, including the likes of Stella McCartney, Matthew Williamson and Christopher Kane. It is no wonder then that to win the Central Saint Martins Graduate show is an enormous achievement, and the beginning of a huge career. The extremely talented Italian designer Flaminia Saccucci is the latest designer to win just that, creating her entire collection by painstakingly hand printing tire tracks and flowers onto pvc dresses and suits. Now, Browns have snapped up an order for next season and her pieces are currently being shot for editorials including Dazed & Confused, Another Magazine, Vogue Brazil and Vogue Italia Talents.


Models 1: Is fashion design something you’ve always wanted to go into?


Flaminia Succucci: Yes , i have always had a great interest in it, and also, since I was a child, a passion for the history of art and design in general.
M1: Winning the St Martins Graduate show must have been amazing! How does it feel?

FS: Fantastic, unexpected. But this is just the beginning…

M1: Who/ what are you most inspired by?

FS: Everything can inspire me, from art, to the most common object. To me what is interesting is the combination of different elements.

M1: What was the main inspiration for your final collection?

FS: I started researching tyres after coming across the work of artist Paolo Canevari. I was attracted to the texture of the tyres.

M1: Working on any collection takes time, dedication and a lot of willpower. What kept you going?

FS: Yes, this is true. For me it was just the passion for the project and the excitement of seeing the finished outcome, as it was in my head and in my sketches.

Tiffany Pisani walking for Flaminia Saccucci

M1: Is there any other aspect of fashion that you are interested in going into?

FS: I like all aspects of fashion; the research, the design, the making, as well as the fabrics and styling. I like to be involved 360° in what I do.

M1: Where in the world would you most like to live?

FS: Any place that would make me feel happy.

M1: What have you got planned for this year?

FS: I only graduated few weeks ago, so now I am considering the different opportunitiesI have been presented with. It may be a job in a fashion house or I may sell my collection to a store in London.

M1: As a designer, what would be your ultimate goal?

FS: To always like what I do, and keeping up with peoples expectations.



Fifi Newbery for Flaminia Saccucci

M1: Fashion is moving forward very quickly. How do you think this will have an effect on your career?

FS: It is moving extremely quickly. I guess you just have to always be up for it and never loose the connection.

M1: Which era would you most like to have live and worked in?

FS: I like this period of time, despite the economy!

M1: Who is your favourite designer?

FS: I like Raf Simons’ work for Jil Sander, for bringing innovative cuts with a perfect fit. And of course, from the past I admire the work of Cristobal Balenciaga.

M1: Do you have any tips to aspiring designers about to embark on a degree in Fashion Design?

FS: Be passionate, never loose the focus and please enjoy!

M1: Finally, who would be your ultimate dinner date?

FS: Miuccia Prada.

Look out for Models 1's shoot with pieces from Flaminia's collection!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment